by Hunter Bower // GeauxPreps.com Owner
NEW ORLEANS – Oak Grove cruised to a consecutive state title Thursday night following a 62-36 thrashing of Haynesville using a record-breaking rushing game in the Non-Select Division IV State Championship.
With the victory, the Tigers claimed their eighth overall state championship and third in four years while capping the season with a 12-2 overall record. The loss dropped Haynesville to 12-2 on the season, earning the program a record 10th state runner-up effort.
“I am awfully rpoud of this community and program,” said Oak Grove head coach Ryan Gregory. “We are blessed with great players which makes our job easier.
Junior quarterback Jackson Bradley imposed his will on the Tornado defense early and often as he used a pair of touchdowns in a series of five straight scoring drives that helped Oak Grove build a comfortable lead heading into the half.
His performance of 211 rushing yards along with three touchdowns earned Bradley Most Outstanding Player honors while the Tigers accrued 401 total yards, a Class 1A/Division IV record, on the ground from five different players
“To be able to rush for that against a defense like Haynesville is something,” said Gregory. “What a performance from our line and backs tonight. A testament to their hard work.”
Bradley opened the game with a 29-yard scampered but it was Haynesville that answered through the air as Jermarquis Hampton hauled in a 53-yard reception from Isaiah Washington to knot the game up at 7-7.
From there it became the Tigers’ show as they used four consecutive touchdowns to extend the score to a five scores. game as Bradley scored once again while tailback Jay Freeman used a pair of scores to add to the tally. The highlight of the first half came on TaMarques Prichard 88-yard kickoff return.
“Certainly not the way we wanted to go out but it’s been a great year.” said Haynesville head coach David Franklin. “Oak Grove is a really good team with great kids. We are proud of the fact that we get to teach these young men and look forward to coming back.”
The Tors cut into the lead with a Byruss Burns 68-yard rush while Alonzo Jackson added two points on a conversion catch to make it a 41-15 ballgame at half.
Oak Grove added three additional touchdowns in the second half to increase its insurmountable lead as Haynesville continued its fight with a couple of scores. Haynesville continued to fight scoring twice on touchdowns from Washington and Hampton.
Washington was named Haynesville’s Most Outstanding Player with 113 passing yards coupled with 63 rushing yards and three total touchdowns.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• 10:21 – OAK GROVE | Quarterback Jackson Bradley broke loose for a 29-yard touchdown to take the early one score lead over the Golden Tornado and cap a 5-play, 47-yard drive.
• 7:34 – HAYNESVILLE | Jermarquis Hampton hauled in a 53-yard touchdown reception from QB Isaiah Washington to tie the ballgame up at seven points apiece.
• 7:21 – OAK GROVE | The Tigers responded by returning the ensuing kickoff 88-yards as TaMarques Prichard helped his team quickly retake the lead.
• 3:01 – OAK GROVE | Jay Freeman upped the Oak Grove score by two touchdown with a 6-yard rush
• :53 – OAK GROVE | Bradley could not be contained as he raced 74 yards into the end zone for his second score of the game to increase the Tigers’ lead by 21.
• 7:55 – OAK GROVE | Freeman broke through for his second score of the game on a 2-yard rush to cap a nine-play drive and extend the lead 35-7.
• 6:53 – OAK GROVE | On his third touchdown of the night, Bradley rushes in from eight yards out to give the Tigers a 41-7 lead
• 5:55 – HAYNESVILLE | The Tors cut into the lead with a Byruss Burns 68-yard rush while Alonzo Jackson added two points on a conversion catch to make it a 41-15 ballgame.
• 1:44 – HAYNESVILLE | Washington called his own number on a 12-yard scamper to pull within 17 points of the Oak Grove lead on his second touchdown accounted for on the night.
• :07 – OAK GROVE | Freeman broke loose for his third touchdown of the night as he rushed passed the Tornado defense with Oak Grove’s sixth rushing touchdown of the night from 31-yards out to go up 48-23.
• 10:04 – OAK GROVE | Freeman accounted for his fourth touchdown of the night as he took advantage of a Haynesville fumble in the inside to help the Tigers up their lead to a 55-23 score.
• 8:08 – HAYNESVILLE | Washington rushed in for the score from a yard out to make it a 55-29 ballgame. It as the third touchdown accounted for by the Tornado quarterback on the night.
• 6:45 – OAK GROVE | Sophmore Tyde Hurley scored the ninth and final touchdown of the night for the Tigers who stretched their insurmountable lead to a 62-29 advantage.
• 4:03 – HAYNESVILLE | Hampton hauled in a second touchdown reception from 29-yards out for the Tornado’s final score on the night to cut to within 26.