by Hunter Bower // GeauxPreps.com Owner
NATCHITOCHES – It was nothing short of an exciting, record-breaking shootout as Calvary Baptist raced past Ouachita Christian, 62-41, to claim the 2020 Division IV State Championship.
The win gave Calvary Baptist (9-2) its third state championship in school history and first since 2014. The loss dropped Ouachita Christian to 9-2 on the year and gave the Eagles their first loss in a state championship game since 2010.
Cavaliers head coach Rodney Guin captured his first state championship as a head coach. Guin previously served as the coach at Haughton High School where he mentored many star athletes including Dak Prescott of the Dallas Cowboys.
Landry Lyddy, voted Calvary’s Most Outstanding Player, shattered multiple class and composite records in Tuesday’s game following a 464 yard passing performance along with four touchdowns passing on 26 completions.
Lyddy’s 464 total yards passing set the Prep Classic composite record previously held by St. Thomas More’s Nate Cox in 2016 and also the Class 1A/Division IV passing record set by Terrance Jones of Port Sulphur in 2001.
Calvary Baptist and Ouachita Christian set multiple game superlative records for most points in a game (103), total yards (1,031), most pass attempts (84), most pass completions (53), most passing yards (804), and most total plays (136).
The Cavaliers’ Jordan Wallace set the class record for longest punt in a game (64) while also bringing in two touchdowns and 202 yards on nine receptions.
Ouachita Christian had a record setting day as well with quarterback Hunter Herring compiling 480 total yards to set the composite and class records for individual total yards in a game. For his efforts in the game, Herring was voted as Ouachita Christian’s Most Outstanding Player with a 26-for-45 day with 328 yards passing and 152 yards on the ground and five total touchdowns.
The Eagles finished with 537 total yards on the day with 340 coming through the air.
On defense, LaTarrus Jacks had two interceptions for Calvary Baptist while Dustin Lang totaled 16 tackles. Henry Messinger led the OCS defense with seven tackles and one sack.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• 11:21 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Landry Lyddy’s pass to Joseph Wilson opened up the Cavalier scoring effort with a 54-yard touchdown reception. Attempted two-pointer was no good.
• 07:36 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | The Eagle defense engulfed Calvary Baptist’s Landry Lyddy and stripped the ball away for Christopher Holyfield to scoop it up and return 26 yards for the touchdown.
• 00:41 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Landry Lyddy found his second receiver of the day in Jordan Wallace who hauled in a 39-yard touchdown pass to help the Cavaliers regain the lead late in the first quarter.
• 00:23 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | On the first play of the ensuing drive, Hunter Herring fired up the engines and raced into the endzone on a 64-yard touchdown.
• 10:51 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Landry Lyddy to Aubrey Hermes for 31 yards resulted in Calvary’s third touchdown on the day.
• 07:55 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Joseph Wilson punched in his second touchdown of the day on a two-yard rush to up Calvary’s lead by two scores.
• 04:32 – Ouachita Christian | Hunter Herring finished off a great run with a 47-yard touchdown to bring OCS within one score of the Cavs
• 03:36 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Joseph Wilson scored his second rushing TD and third overall on the day from six yards out late in the half.
• 00:49 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | Hunter Herring delivered a beautiful 84-yard pass to Tristan Wiley that brought OCS within one score over the Cavaliers just before halftime.
• 07:10 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | Hunter Herring darted a laser pass to Landon Graves in the back of the endzone for 15 yards and the touchdown. It was Herring’s second of the game at that point.
• 04:47 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Joseph Wilson scooted in on an eight-yard rush for the touchdown to extend the Cavaliers lead by two scores. It was Wilson’s third rushing score in the game.
• 09:33 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Lyddy connected with Jordan Wallace on a 32-yard completion for the touchdown. It was the second connection for a TD between the two in the game.
• 06:49 – CALVARY BAPTIST | Hunter Herring’s pass was intercepted and returned 64 yards for a touchdown by Cavaliers defender LaTarrus Jackson that upped the Calvary lead by four scores.
• 00: 35 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | Tristan Wiley hauled in his second touchdown on a seven yard pass from Herring to close out the game.
Calvary Baptist head coach Rodney Guin on the state title win
“We are fired up on how our kids played well today. We have a great rivalry with Ouachita Christian. It’s a friendly deal but it’s hotly contested and it just feels good to come out and do a lot of stuff right today.”
Rodney Guin on meeting Ouachita Christian in a rematch from last year
“We thought that us and Ouachita Christian were the two best teams last year as well. We just happened to meet each other in the quarterfinals. We were hoping to be on opposite sides of the bracket which worked out. Again, we played well tonight and Hunter Herring having been slowed down by an injury helped a bit in the second half for sure. ”
Landry Lyddy on breaking the Prep Classic composite record for most passing yards in a game
“It is a great feeling and a great opportunity to come out and showcase my talents and my teammate’s talents. I am just super proud of my team. ”
Ouachita Christian head coach Steven Fitzhugh
“It was a great battle in a great ballgame today. We knew their receiving core was going to be tough to stop and we didn’t do that today. They are playmakers who make great plays. But, I am proud of our guys and who they are. They kept fighting every single play. This has been a special season and want to give thanks to God for letting us play this great game.”