by Hunter Bower // GeauxPreps.com Owner
A special thanks to Louisiana vs. All Y’all for contributing coach and player quotes.
No. 1 Carencro (11-1) vs. No. 2 Edna Karr (10-1)
Tuesday, Dec. 29 | 6 p.m. | Harry “Rags” Turpin Stadium | Northwestern State University | Natchitoches, Louisiana | Partly Cloudy, 63 degrees, Wind: SSE 7MPH
Live Stats | Watch – NFHS Network ($) | Radio Stream (Carencro)
Head Coach: Tony Courville
State Championships: 1992
Last Finals Appearance: 2011 (lost to West Monroe, 20-13)
Road To Natchitoches:
- Round One: Beat No. 32 Woodlawn-SH, 2-0 (Forfeit)
- Round Two: Beat No. 16 DeRidder, 42-7
- Quarterfinals: Beat No. 8 Plaquemine, 81-14
- Semi-Finals: Beat No. 4 Neville, 49-7
• Carencro makes its first appearance in the LHSAA Prep Classic in 2011 and is looking for its first state title since the 1992 season.
• Head coach Tony Courville has done wonders for the Bears who were unable to make it past the quarterfinals in the previous six seasons. Courville is making his first championship appearance as a head coach.
• The Bears have been stellar on the offensive side this season, especially during its playoff run. Carencro has averaged 57 points in its last three games while holding its opponents to just 28 total.
Edna Karr Preview:
Head Coach: Brice Brown
State Championships: 1993, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Last Finals Appearance: 2019 (beat Warren Easton, 35-34)
Road To Natchitoches:
- Round One: Beat No. 31 Ellender, 42-0
- Round Two: Beat No. 15 Istrouma, 70-19
- Quarterfinals: Beat No. 10 Eunice, 40-7
- Semi-Finals: Beat No. 6 Warren Easton, 35-13
• The Cougars are destined to make history Tuesday night as they look to become just the second team in LHSAA history to win five consecutive state titles. The only other to do so was John Curtis (2004-2008).
• Brice Brown is now in his fifth year as head coach and has led Edna Karr to the state finals in each of his five seasons. The Cougars are 74-9 under Brown in his career.
• Edna Karr has built a tradition of winning advancing to the Prep Classic nine times since 2010. The Cougars own six state football titles with their first coming in 1993.
Distance To Turpin Stadium: Carencro (142 miles), Edna Karr (265 miles)