BATON ROUGE – Ochsner Health (Ochsner) and the Louisiana High School Athletic Association (LHSAA) have agreed to a five-year partnership in which Ochsner will be the title sponsor for all 21 of LHSAA’s annual championship events, provide healthcare training and education for LHSAA member programs, and develop curriculum support for student-athletes interested in pursuing careers in healthcare and sports medicine.
“With our new partnership, Ochsner will leverage its best-in-class sports medicine program and statewide presence to support the LHSAA’s mission of offering safe athletic competition, while providing invaluable educational opportunities for all of the LHSAA’s stakeholders – students, families and coaches,” said Robert Hart, MD, chief medical officer, Ochsner Health. “We look forward to being on the sidelines and in the classrooms with Louisiana’s most talented student athletes.”
Founded in 1920, the LHSAA recognizes and promotes academics, the safety of participants, competition, sportsmanship, and the life-long values athletics fosters. It represents 404 member schools, 110,000 student-athletes and 10,000 coaches in Louisiana.
Ochsner will strengthen these numbers through the expertise of its more than 80 athletic trainers, who are all accredited allied healthcare professionals. They provide care to athletes under the guidance of the Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute’s 18 sports medicine physicians and orthopedic surgeons across Louisiana.
“As an association, we are thrilled to announce our healthcare partnership with Ochsner Health,” said Eddie Bonine, LHSAA Executive Director. “Ochsner’s commitment to the LHSAA will enable the association to continue to provide lasting memories and experiences for thousands of student-athletes throughout the state of Louisiana. We look forward to working together to provide beneficial healthcare and educational impacts to Louisiana student-athletes, schools, and the surrounding communities.”
- Ochsner Health will be the Official Healthcare Provider and Sports Medicine Athletic Trainers of the LHSAA and will care for all participating student-athletes competing in LHSAA State Championship Events.
- Ochsner Sports Medicine will lead the Ochsner Sports Medicine Advisory Committee. This committee will spearhead statewide implementation of health and safety protocols through a multi-disciplinary representation of sports specialists, educating coaches on the most up-to-date medical, health and wellness best practices.
- Ochsner will provide a workforce development path for student-athletes, curating a sports medicine curriculum that includes a wide range of sports-focused topics, including but not limited to sports medicine, psychology, nutrition, and business. This workforce training initiative is a key element of Ochsner’s 10-year vision to transform Louisiana into a healthier state by 2030.
“This is a unique opportunity for students, who will be introduced to sports medicine as a potential career path while they’re still in high school. As a product of New Orleans public schools, this partnership is extremely meaningful,” said Misty Suri, MD, sports medicine orthopedic surgeon, Ochsner Sports Medicine Institute. “In the process, our partnership with LHSAA is transformed into a critical component of Ochsner’s Healthy State Initiative, our 10-year commitment to improve overall health in Louisiana.”
The LHSAA’s first Championship event of the 2021-22 school year begins Nov. 11, with the Ochsner LHSAA Volleyball State Tournament at the Pontchartrain Convention and Civic Center in Kenner.
2021-2022 Ochsner LHSAA Championship Events & Locations
- Cross Country, Natchitoches
- Football, New Orleans
- Swimming, Sulphur
- Volleyball, Kenner
- Basketball- Boys, Lake Charles
- Basketball- Girls, Hammond
- Indoor Track & Field, Baton Rouge
- Powerlifting, Monroe
- Soccer, Hammond
- Wrestling, Baton Rouge
- Baseball, Sulphur
- Bowling, Gonzales & Baton Rouge
- Golf, Lafayette
- Gymnastics, Baton Rouge
- Outdoor Track & Field, Baton Rouge
- Softball, Sulphur
- Tennis, Monroe
- Bass Fishing, Bossier City
- Esports, Various Statewide
- Spirit, Kenner
The Ochsner Sports Medicine team includes nationally and internationally recognized fellowship-trained sports medicine orthopedic surgeons, primary care sports medicine physicians, clinical sports medicine assistants, athletic trainers, sports certified specialist physical therapists, performance training coaches and navigators who deliver high quality care to our patients. Visit www.ochsner.org/sportsmed to learn more.