by Hunter Bower // GeauxPreps.com Owner
Trophy Games Highlight Friday Night Rivalry Showdowns
Not much compares to a good rivalry game. What makes an annual showdown better is the addition of a trinket that gives the winner more than bragging rights for one year.
In the case of the Webster Parish Rivalry, Minden and North Webster decided it was to time to add more than just talk to the annual rivalry. The two schools introduced the “Battle of the Boot” Trophy to be traded between the winner each year.
The trophy traveled home to North Webster High School following a 28-21 win over Minden, the Knights’ first win the series since 2018.
For the first time in 16 years, Archbishop Shaw got to bring a piece of rivalry lore back home to Marrero.
The Eagles defeated Archbishop Rummel, 43-28, in the annual “Battle for the Megaphone”, accumulating 522 total yards of offense. Crescent City Sports was on the scene and captured the exchange of the Megaphone between the two squads.
Ruston freshman Ahmad Hudson’s Incredible Catch Lights Up Social Media
If there was ever a highlight to be featured on ESPN Sportcenter’s Top 10 segment, Ruston’s Ahmad Hudson would have the biggest argument.
The freshman receiver brought down one of the most spectacular one-handed catches Friday night as the Bearcats downed out-of-state opponent, Cabot, Ark.
With the offense backed up to its own 1-yard line, quarterback Josh Brantley tossed a 38-yard pass to Hudson who caught the ball one-handed with two defenders on his heels.
The 6-5, 200 pound 14-year old is one of the most sought-after freshmen in the country with LSU becoming the first school to make an offer. Hudson is the son of Grambling Lab/LSU basketball standout Antonio Hudson.
Special Teams Play Huge Part in Victory For Second Straight Week
For a second consecutive week, special teams were the deciding factor in a pair of huge victories.
In north Louisiana, the Many Tigers took home an overtime win against Class 5A Haughton as Deacon Lafollette’s 33-yard kick through the uprights sealed the emotional win for head coach Dillon Barrett and company.
The win came after Haughton’s attempt at three field goals, two in overtime, was either blocked or missed.
In Baton Rouge, University Lab received a second-change field goal attempt in the last seconds of a rivalry showdown with Catholic of Baton Rouge.
Granville Anderson, University Lab placekicker was roughed on the final play of the game while attempting a 36-yard field goal.
The penalty gave Anderson another chance and he took full advantage as he knocked in the game winner from 26 yards out. It was the Cubs’ first win over Catholic since the 2018 season.
Eat. Sleep. Keep The Streak.
Destrehan’s undefeated streak grew to 17 consecutive games Friday night with a hard-fought 21-7 win over East Ascension.
The Wildcats’ previous loss came at the hands of eventual state title winner Zachary on Dec. 3, 2021 as the Broncos downed Destrehan, 34-13.
L.W. Higgins snapped the state’s second-longest losing streaking Friday night as the Hurricanes took down West Jefferson, 40-12. It was their first victory in 20 games dating back to November of 2020.
Montgomery also snapped a 19-game losing skid with a 26-12 victory over Elton.
Louisiana’s Longest Winning & Losing Streaks
Consecutive Wins (as of 2023 – Week 3)
17 – Destrehan
13 – St. Thomas More
12 – Ouachita Christian
10 – St. Charles
6 – John Curtis
Consecutive Losses (15 or more games)
18 – Plain Dealing (def. Ringgold, 38-6 • Oct. 8, 2021)
18 – West St. Mary (def. Jeanerette, 26-0 • Oct. 1, 2021)
15 – Crescent City (def. Cohen, 12-6 • Oct. 3, 2015)
15 – Comeaux (def. New Iberia, 30-28 • Oct. 22, 2021)
How The LSWA Top Ten Fared – Week 3
- John Curtis (2-0) beat Santaluces, FL, 55-21
- Destrehan (3-0) beat East Ascension, 21-7
- Edna Karr (3-0) beat Warren Easton, 48-14
- Zachary (2-0) beat St. Augustine, 17-7
- Catholic-Baton Rouge (1-2) lost to University Lab, 31-30
- Ruston (2-1) beat Cabot, AR, 28-17
- St. Augustine (2-1) lost to Zachary, 17-7
- Carencro (3-0) beat Southside, 19-14
- West Monroe (3-0) beat Delhi Charter, 44-8
- Acadiana (2-1) beat New Iberia, 56-7
Others receiving votes: Brother Martin (2-1) lost to St. Thomas More, 41-7, Airline (3-0) beat Northwood-Shreveport, 48-14, Southside (2-1) lost to Carencro, 19-14, East St. John (3-0) beat L.B. Landry, 59-0, Mandeville (2-1) lost to Walker, 40-29, Archbishop Rummel (1-2) lost to Archbishop Shaw, 43-28, Dutchtown (3-0) beat Covington, 38-0.
- St. Thomas More (3-0) beat Brother Martin, 41-7
- Lafayette Christian (3-0) beat Jesuit, 51-18
- Warren Easton (2-1) lost to Edna Karr, 48-14
- Neville (3-0) beat Huntington, 50-20
- Westgate (3-0) beat Evangel Christian, 34-12
- North DeSoto (2-1) beat Loyola Prep, 55-3
- Teurlings Catholic (2-1) lost to St. Charles, 48-20
- Lutcher (1-1) did not play
- West Feliciana (2-1) beat McKinley, 30-28
- Evangel Christian (1-2) lost to Westgate, 34-12
Others receiving votes: De La Salle (1-2) lost to St. Paul’s, 14-6, Leesville (2-1) beat Iowa, 30-13, Archbishop Shaw (1-2) beat Archbishop Rummel, 43-28, Cecilia (2-1) beat Northside, 45-0, Vandebilt Catholic (2-1) beat Belle Chasse, 16-7, Opelousas (2-1) beat Lake Charles Prep, 34-6, Huntington (2-1) lost to Neville, 50-20, Pearl River (2-1) lost to Pine, 48-0, Tioga (3-0) beat Pineville, 35-0.
- University (2-1) beat Catholic-Baton Rouge, 31-30
- St. James (2-1) beat Thibodaux, 24-14
- E.D. White (3-0) beat Assumption, 41-13
- Sterlington (2-1) beat Oak Grove, 42-35 (OT)
- Madison Prep (2-1) beat Scotlandville, 35-6
- Union Parish (1-2) lost to Captain Shreve, 34-20
- John F. Kennedy (2-1) lost to St. Amant, 20-14
- St. Louis (2-1) lost to Vidor, TX, 21-17
- Lake Charles Prep (1-2) lost to Opelousas, 34-6
- Iowa (1-2) lost Leesville, 30-13
Others receiving votes: Jena (3-0) beat St. Frederick, 30-0, Parkview Baptist (2-1) beat Brusly, 27-0, Amite (1-1) did not play, Bogalusa (2-1) beat Salmen, 39-20, Plaquemine (2-1) beat Tara, 39-8, Carroll (3-0) beat Southwood, 38-16, Iota (2-1) beat Crowley, 52-7.
- Calvary Baptist (3-0) beat C.E. Byrd, 42-21
- St. Charles (3-0) beat Teurlings Catholic, 48-20
- Newman (3-0) beat Benton, 37-27
- Oak Grove (1-2) lost to Sterlington, 42-35 (OT)
- Notre Dame (2-1) beat Comeaux, 41-12
- Dunham (2-1) beat M.L. King Charter, 57-20
- Many (2-1) beat Haughton, 45-42 (2OT)
- Episcopal-Baton Rouge (2-1) beat Country Day, 35-0
- Loreauville (2-1) lost to Vermilion Catholic, 27-21
- Northlake Christian (3-0) beat Varnado, 41-0
Others receiving votes: Mangham (0-3) lost to Caldwell Parish, 40-28, Rosepine (1-2) lost to Kinder, 34-0, East Feliciana (1-2) lost to Kentwood, 39-6, South Plaquemines (1-2) lost to Jewel Sumner, 26-18, Ascension Episcopal (2-1) beat Patterson, 40-6, Catholic-New Iberia (2-1) beat Erath, 25-23, Grand Lake (2-1) beat Pickering, 47-0, Oakdale (3-0) beat Ville Platte, 25-20.
- Ouachita Christian (3-0) beat Mansfield, 31-6
- Kentwood (3-0) beat East Feliciana, 39-6
- Vermilion Catholic (3-0) beat Loreauville, 27-21
- Southern Lab (1-1) did not play
- Homer (2-1) beat General Trass, 55-38
- St. Martin’s (3-0) beat Riverdale, 58-28
- Riverside Academy (2-1) beat Central Catholic, 43-0
- Haynesville (3-0) beat Junction City, AR, 51-20
- Ascension Catholic (3-0) beat Archbishop Hannan, 42-16
- St. Frederick (1-2) lost to Jena, 30-0
Others receiving votes: St. Mary’s (3-0) beat Menard, 26-13, Glenbrook Academy (3-0) beat Delta Charter, 55-32, Logansport (2-1) beat Peabody, 34-6.