by Hunter Bower // GeauxPreps.com Owner
No. 1 Logansport (10-4) vs. No. 2 Homer (11-3)
Head Coach: Kevin Magee
State Championships: 1995, 2016
Last Finals Appearance: 2016 (beat Haynesville, 34-28)
Road To The Dome:
- Round Two: Beat No. 16 Arcadia, 50-0
- Quarterfinals: Beat No. 9 Basile, 44-14
- Semi-Finals: Beat No. 4 Oak Grove, 22-14
• Logansport is back in the Prep Classic for the first time since 2016 when the Tigers score 34 unanswered points to upset top-ranked Haynesville. The victory was Logansport’s second state title in school history.
• The Tigers have strung together 10 consecutive wins in their quest for championship gold after a grueling start the season. Logansport’s non-district slate included the likes of Calvary Baptist, Bossier, Jonesboro-Hodge and Loyola Prep who all combined for a 30-10 regular season mark.
• Head coach Kevin Magee has played an integral part in both of Logansport’s state title wins as both a player and coach. Magee led the Tigers to a win over Mangham as the quarterback in the 1995 championship game before leading the charge against the Golden Tornado in 2016 as the head coach.
• Logansport has become a mainstay in the Class 1A state playoffs over the last decade, including having finished no worse than the quarterfinals since 2015.
Head Coach: Richie Casey
State Championships: 1928, 1937, 1939
Last Finals Appearance: 1985 (lost to Springhill, 19-14)
Road To The Dome:
- Round Two: Beat No. 15 Northwood (Lena), 46-6
- Quarterfinals: Beat No. 10 White Castle, 40-6
- Semi-Finals: Beat No. 6 Haynesville, 40-0
• Homer is making its first trip to the Superdome in three decades after taking down longtime rival Haynesville, 40-0, in last week’s semifinal contest.
• The Pelicans have long awaited for a chance to once again become State Champion, a title they have not had the distinction of carrying since the Great Depression. The last time that Homer won a state title was during the middle of the Great Depression back in 1939. Since then, the Claiborne Parish school has lost in its last five attempts at winning the gold.
• Richie Casey becomes the eighth different head coach to lead the Pelicans to a state title game. He has an opportunity to join E.F. Wilbanks (1928) and Preacher Roberts (1937 & 1939) has the only Homer skippers to win a state title with the school.
• If the Pelicans are successful on Saturday, they will win Claiborne Parish its 21st state title in high school football. Haynesville has won 17 state championships since 1924.
Distance To New Orleans: Logansport (307 miles), Homer (349 miles)