by Hunter Bower // GeauxPreps.com Owner
NEW ORLEANS – Ouachita Christian took home its eight state championship Thursday night following a 28-14 victory over Vermilion Catholic in the Select Division IV state title game.
The win helped to snap Vermilion Catholic’s winning streak at 13 as well as ruin an undefeated season for the Eagles. Ouachita Christian finished the season with a 13-1 mark.
OCS quarterback Landon Graves was responsible for both of the Eagles’ touchdowns in the first half, including a 23-yard toss to Drew Dougan to help regain the lead heading into intermission.
Vermilion Catholic struggled offensively during the first two periods but was able to capitalize on a second quarter rushing score from quarterback Jonathan Dartez. The Eagles were 3-of-8 on third down conversions.
In the second half, OCS scored twice more to make it a 28-7 ballgame heading into the final quarter. It was only the second time this season that Vermilion Catholic surrendered double-digit points.
The loss dropped Vermilion Catholic to 13-1 overall on the year.
Broc Hogan’s two interceptions were enough to earn the senior Thursday’s Most Outstanding Player Award. Hogan also finished with six receptions for 80 yards.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• 3:01 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | Landon Graves opened the scoring with a 12-yard run following an 11 play, 65-yard drive.
• 2:44 – VERMILION CATHOLIC | Quarterback Jonathan Dartez knotted the score up with a 2-yard run after a convincing drive.
• :10 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | Landon Graves helped the Eagles regain the lead on a 23-yard touchdown pass to Drew Dougan towards the end of the first half.
• 6:04 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | Zach White scores on a 16-yard scamper to increase the OCS lead to 14 points.
• 4:35 – OUACHITA CHRISTIAN | Landon Graves accounts for his third touchdown on the evening with a 5 yard pass to Drew Dougan to make it a 28-7 ballgame.
• 3:02 – VERMILION CATHOLIC | Allen McLain scoops up an OCS fumbles and races 34 yards for paydirt to cut the lead in half.