by Hunter Bower, GeauxPreps.com Owner
J.T. Curtis One Win Away From Historic Milestone
The legendary head coach of the John Curtis Patriots is now one win shy of reaching the coveted 600-Win Club.
With a dominating 42-16 win over St. Augustine on Saturday, J.T. Curtis notched win No. 599. He will be able to grab the 600th with a win over Archbishop Shaw on October 8th should the Patriots be unable to secure a game this week.
Curtis has the opportunity to become just the second high school football coach in the nation to reach 600 career wins. Retired Summerville, SC coach John McKissick holds the all-time record of 621 victories.
In Louisiana, Curtis sits atop the all-time coaching victories chart. St. Thomas More’s Jim Hightower is No. 2 in the state with 441 career wins.
Episcopal’s Travis Bourgeois Nabs Career Win No. 150
Travis Bourgeois was all smiles Friday night following his team’s 41-14 victory over Pope John Paul II.
Not only did the Knights improved to an undefeated 3-0 mark to start the year, but Bourgeois also picked up his 150th win as a head coach.
He has served as the head coach at Episcopal since 2000 where he obtained his career win on September 7, 2001, while his 100th win milestone was obtained in a 2014 win against Capitol.
Bourgeois was named the Class AA Coach Of The Year in 2002 after leading his team to a semifinal appearance despite holding the No. 28 seed in the state playoffs.
In addition to his football responsibilities, Bourgeois has also served as the school’s girls basketball and baseball coach.
East Beauregard Perfect On Eight Two-Point Attempts
Two-points conversions following a touchdown are hard to come. Eight attempts are near impossible.
East Beauregard defied the odds Friday night when it converted on all eight of its two-point attempt in a 64-50 victory on the road at Elton.
The Trojans also attempted three pass attempts throughout the whole game and were even shut out in the first quarter.
St. Thomas More’s Walker Howard Passes Father On All-Time Career Passing Yards Chart
In addition to leading his Cougar squad to an exhilarating victory over Neville Friday night, Walker Howard passed up father and former LSU quarterback Jamie Howard on his climb up the all-time career passing yards list.
Walker slid into fourth place with 4,824 career passing yards while father Jamie sits in the fifth spot with 4,650 yards.
The senior quarterback is now 2,793 yards from third place held by William Bellamy. Caleb Holstein, now at Louisiana tech, holds the all-time record in career passing yards with 9,511 along with 106 touchdowns.
Howard is committed to LSU where he is expected to join former teammate and wide receiver Jack Bech.
Alexandria Ready For Its First Out-Of-State Experience
The Trojans hit the road this week to take on an undefeated Winona High School out of Mississippi. It’s the first time that an Alexandria squad will have played an out-of-state opponent.
Louisiana continues to win the border battle against foes residing outside of the Bayou State with a 8-4 record.
C.E. Byrd 24, Maumelle, AR 21
Haynesville 40, Junction City, AR 28
Warren, AR 42, Franklin Parish 10
Germantown, MS 40, Lake Charles Prep 26
Live Oak 35, Pearl River Central 34
Lutcher 62, West Harrison, MS 34
Port Allen 22, Wilkinson County, MS 7
Ruston 28, Oxford, MS 14
St. Charles Catholic 41, Jefferson County, MS 0
Catholic (BR) 38, Our Lady of Good Counsel 10
Seminole 35, Evangel 14
Evadale, TX 42, Merryville 30
Most Points Score By Classification
The following teams lead all squads in their respective classifications with the most points scored through the first four weeks of the high school football season. Alexandria leads all squads statewide with 227 total points.
Alexandria – 227 total points (56.8)
St. Thomas More – 168 total points (42.0 ppg)
Iowa – 187 total points (46.8 ppg)
Red River – 207 total points (51.8 ppg)
Calvary Baptist – 181 total points (45.3 ppg)
How The LSWA Football Polls Fared – Week 4
- Catholic-BR (4-0) beat Warren Easton 39-14
- Zachary (4-0) beat Green Oaks 52-6
- Brother Martin (2-0) beat Jesuit 20-14
- Ponchatoula (2-0) beat Covington 27-3
- Alexandria (4-0) beat Peabody 55-20
- Acadiana (2-2) beat Sulphur 45-10
- West Monroe (2-1) beat Woodlawn-BR 27-0
- Capt. Shreve (4-0) won by forfeit over Southwood
- John Curtis (1-1) beat St. Augustine 41-19
- Byrd (4-0) beat Haughton 38-7
Others receiving votes: Ruston (3-1) beat Carencro 38-35, Scotlandville (1-2) lost to Karr 48-33, Destrehan (0-0) played Hahnville Saturday, Benton (3-1) lost to Parkway 30-23, East St. John (0-1) lost to Thibodaux 15-14, Parkway (3-1) beat Benton 30-23, Haughton (2-2) lost to C.E. Byrd 38-7, Dutchtown (4-0) beat Abramson Sci 42-0, Rummel beat Calvary 23-14, Lafayette (2-2) lost to Comeaux 31-29.
- Neville (3-1) lost to St. Thomas More 35-28
- Karr (2-0) beat Scotlandville 48-33
- Warren Easton (1-1) lost to Catholic-BR 39-14
- Westgate (3-1) beat St. Martinville 39-21
- Northwood-Shreve. (2-1) lost to Central-BR 34-26
- Carencro (2-2) lost to Ruston 38-35
- St. Thomas More (2-2) beat Neville 35-28
- Cecilia (3-1) beat Crowley 46-27
- Vandebilt Catholic (1-1) beat Breaux Bridge 23-6
- Assumption (1-2) lost to St. James 43-12
Others receiving votes: Leesville (2-2) lost to Pineville 35-32, Teurlings Catholic (4-0) beat Notre Dame 34-21, Liberty (3-0) beat Broadmoor 60-0, Plaquemine (0-3) lost to Istrouma 28-16, Minden (2-2) lost to Mansfield 46-25, Carver (2-0) beat McDonogh (35) 19-0, Huntington (3-1) beat Loyola 46-25, Lakeshore (2-1) beat Bogalusa 59-20.
- University (4-0) beat Baker 44-0
- St. James (3-0) beat Assumption 43-12
- Madison Prep (4-0) beat West Feliciana 34-21
- Union Parish (2-2) lost to Ouachita Parish 31-28
- Lake Charles Prep (2-2) lost to De La Salle 29-26
- Sterlington (4-0) beat North DeSoto 38-35
- De La Salle (1-1) beat Lake Charles College Prep 29-26
- St. Martinville (3-1) lost to Westgate 39-21
- E.D. White (1-0) played South Lafourche at 11 a.m. Saturday
- Church Point (4-0) beat Marksville 51-0
Others receiving votes: Iowa (4-0) beat LaGrange 50-19, Jena (3-1) beat North Webster 27-12, North Webster (2-2) lost to Jena 27-12, Mansfield (2-2) beat Minden 46-25, Lutcher (2-0) beat Central Lafourche 53-6, Booker T. Washington-NO (1-1) lost to L.B. Landry 13-0.
- Lafayette Christian (4-0) beat St. Helena 35-0
- Many (3-1) beat Tioga 46-7
- Newman (2-0) beat Country Day 49-21
- Amite (2-0) beat Patterson 40-20
- Notre Dame (3-1) lost to Teurlings Catholic 34-21
- Mangham (3-1) beat Delhi Charter 42-0
- Loreauville (4-0) played Franklin 47-42
- St. Charles (2-0) beat Jefferson County, Ms., 41-0
- General Trass (4-0) beat Madison Parish 58-6
- Rosepine (4-0) beat Sacred Heart-VP 55-18
Others receiving votes: North Caddo (3-1) beat Bossier 42-6, Dunham (2-2) beat South Beauregard 49-0, Catholic-New Iberia (2-2) lost to Delcambre 21-14, Avoyelles (4-0) beat Bunkie 54-13, Ferriday (0-3) lost to Rayville 52-50, Ascension Episcopal (3-1) beat Jeanerette 44-0, Kinder (1-3) lost to Catholic-PC 22-21, Kentwood (1-1) beat Loranger 21-13.
- Calvary (3-1) lost to Rummel 23-14
- Ouachita Christian (4-0) beat Cedar Creek 33-22
- Southern Lab (2-1) beat Riverside Academy 64-13
- Ascension Catholic (1-1) lost to Vermilion Catholic 28-20
- Grand Lake (4-0) beat Merryville 34-0
- Homer (3-1) beat Glenbrook 36-21
- Haynesville (3-1) beat Plain Dealing 41-0
- St. Edmund (3-1) lost to Evangel 42-27
- St. Frederick (4-0) beat Delhi 30-0
- Oak Grove (1-3) beat Delta Charter 42-8
Others receiving votes: Vermilion Catholic (2-2) beat Ascension Catholic 28-21, Riverside (0-2) lost to Southern Lab 64-13, Catholic-Pointe Coupee (3-1) beat Kinder 22-21, St. Mary’s (3-1) beat Oakdale 30-19, Logansport (0-4), Opelousas Catholic (3-1) beat Vinton 39-7.