The Extra Point: Louisiana High School Football Weekly Review
by Hunter Bower, GeauxPreps.com Owner
FOOTBALL SCOREBOARD | POWER RATINGS | DISTRICT STANDINGS
Natchitoches Central Makes History With 3-0 Start To Season
The 2021 Natchitoches Central football team continues to etch its accomplishments in the history book. The Chiefs improved to 3-0 to start the season with a 34-6 victory over West Ouachita, a feat it has not achieved in over two decades.
Friday’s win marks the first time since 1996 that Natchitoches Central began the year with three straight wins. The Chiefs are scheduled to begin district play this week with Airline.
Louisiana Atop The Border Battles Standings
Ten contests have taken place between LHSAA member schools and football programs from other states. The Bayou State currently leads in the battle to protect the border. Below are a list of results so far this season:
C.E. Byrd 24, Maumelle, AR 21
Haynesville 40, Junction City, AR 28
Warren, AR 42, Franklin Parish 10
Germantown, MS 40, Lake Charles Prep 26
Live Oak 35, Pearl River Central 34
Lutcher 62, West Harrison, MS 34
Ruston 28, Oxford, MS 14
Catholic (BR) 38, Our Lady of Good Counsel 10
Seminole 35, Evangel 14
Evadale, TX 42, Merryville 30
According to our friends over at 14-0Productions.com, the following is a list of the longest active win and loss streaks in LHSAA Football.
13 – Lafayette Christian
12 – Madison Prep
11 – Calvary Baptist
Consecutive Losses (10 or more games)
19 – North Central
15 – Grace King
14 – Covenant Christian
14 – Thrive Academy
12 – Central Lafourche
12 – Evangel
11 – Ringgold
10 – Southwood
How The LHSAA Football Power Ratings Are Determined
The changes the LHSAA made to the Power Rating formula a few years back will have coaches and fans alike wondering why your calculations do not match GeauxPreps.
The top reason for mismatches is calculating Opponents’ Win points. Win Points are no longer just a straight-up number of Wins by teams you have played. Points are now based on the number of wins vs the number of games played. This was done to make up for playing opponents who did not play a full 10-game schedule.
See the summary below on how PR is calculated:
- Result of Game: If you win, you get 10 Power Points. If you lose, you get none.
- Classification: If your opponent is in a higher class, you get 2 points for each class higher
- Opponents Wins: To calculate opponents wins: divide the number of wins by total games played, and multiple by 10.
- Add these three components, and this is the PR for that specific game played.
- Do this for all games played, add them all up, and then divide that total by the number of games you played.
- You can compare your calculations with ours by looking at the Team Schedules Pages, there you will see how many points we calculated for each matchup.
Another major factor that causes mismatches, is Out of State opponents. We strive to make sure that we have to most accurate Win/Loss record for each out-of-state opponent. Since schools enter the W/L records for their OOS opponents, and because we don’t know how the schools get their record, we often are off on several matchups.
In addition, a team’s strength factor shall be determined by adding the sum of the opponent’s class to the sum of the opponent’s wins and dividing the result by the total number of games played. The strength factor is used when a tie exists between two or more teams and a head-to-head matchup does not exist.
GeauxPreps.com auto-generates its Power Ratings every two hours for football. If you think that you have seen an error or have any other questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
How The LSWA Football Polls Fared – Week 3
- Catholic-BR (2-0) beat West Monroe 30-19
- Zachary (2-0) beat St. Augustine 45-35
- Brother Martin (1-0) beat East Ascension 8-7
- Acadiana (1-2) lost to Lafayette Christian 14-13
- (tie) Ponchatoula (1-0) beat St. Helena 37-6
- (tie) West Monroe (1- 1) lost to Catholic-BR 30-19
- John Curtis (0-1) lost to Karr 33-19
- Scotlandville (1-1) lost to Warren Easton 42-28
- Alexandria (3-0) beat Marksville 49-7
- Captain Shreve (3-0) beat Union Parish 22-21
Others receiving votes: Ruston (2-1) beat Airline 50-0, Byrd (3-0) beat Maumelle, Ark., 24-21, Destrehan (0-0) did not play, Parkway (2-1) lost to Huntington 38-31, Haughton (2-1) beat B.T. Washington-Shreveport 40-0, Rummel (1-0) beat Slidell 12-11, Dutchtown (2-0) beat Covington 37-15, Benton (3-0) beat Richwood 41-12.
- Neville (3-0) beat Jena 28-8
- Karr (1-0) beat John Curtis 33-19
- Carencro (1-2) lost Lafayette 31-28 in 2 OT
- Warren Easton (1-0) beat Scotlandville 42-28
- Westgate (2-1) beat New Iberia 35-3
- Northwood-Shreve (2-1) won by forfeit over Loyola
- St. Thomas More (1-2) beat Plaquemine 63-0
- Vandebilt Catholic (0-1) lost to Newman 28-0
- Assumption (1-1) lost to E.D. White 7-0
- Cecilia (2-1) beat Denham Springs 48-44
Others receiving votes: Lakeshore (1-1) lost to Northshore 31-10, Carver (1-0) beat Riverside 54-0 Saturday, Leesville (2-1) beat LaGrange 50-14, Plaquemine (0-2) lost to St. Thomas More 63-0, Liberty (2-0) beat East Iberville 52-0, Teurlings Catholic (3-0) beat Barbe 52-25, Minden (2-1) beat North Webster 34-27, North DeSoto lost to Many 50-0.
- University (3-0) beat Dunham 35-0
- Union Parish (2-1) lost to Captain Shreve 22-21
- St. James (2-0) beat L.B. Landry 41-26
- Madison Prep (3-0) beat Parkview Baptist 42-3
- De La Salle (1-0) lost to St. Charles Catholic 3-0
- Lake Charles Prep (2-1) beat Southwood 37-0
- Sterlington (3-0) beat Oak Grove 34-16
- St. Martinville (3-0) won by forfeit over Breaux Bridge
- E.D. White (1-0) beat Assumption 7-0
- Church Point (3-0) beat Rayne 25-0
Others receiving votes: Iowa (3-0) beat Sulphur 48-29, Jena (2-1) lost to Neville 28-8, North Webster (2-1) lost to Minden 34-27, Mansfield (1-2) lost to Red River 54-44, Green Oaks (0-2) played Wossman, Jennings (0-3) lost to DeRidder 28-27, Lutcher (1-0) beat West Harrison, Ms., 62-34, Booker T. Washington-NO (1-0) beat McMain 24-8.
- Lafayette Christian (3-0) beat Acadiana 14-13
- Many (2-1) beat North DeSoto 50-0
- Newman (1-0) beat Vandebilt Catholic 28-0
- Amite (1-0) beat Jewel Sumner 27-7
- Notre Dame (3-0) beat Comeaux 28-7
- Mangham (2-1) beat Caldwell Parish 35-7
- Loreauville (3-0) beat Kinder 31-8
- St. Charles (0-1) def. De La Salle 3-0
- Dunham (1-2) lost to University 35-0
- General Trass (3-0) beat Bastrop 26-6
Others receiving votes: Rosepine (3-0) beat East Beauregard 55-20, Catholic-New Iberia (2-1) lost to St. Paul’s 17-13, North Caddo (2-1) beat Bolton 50-14, Kinder (1-2) lost to Loreauville 41-8, Avoyelles (3-0) beat Eunice 34-7, Ferriday (0-2) did not play, Ascension Episcopal (2-1) beat North Vermilion 32-0, Kentwood (0-1) lost to East Feliciana 39-13 Saturday.
- Calvary (3-0) beat Arcadia 62-0
- Ouachita Christian (3-0) beat Sicily Island 47-12
- Southern Lab (1-1) beat McKinley 48-12
- Oak Grove (0-3) lost to Sterlington 34-16
- Ascension Catholic (1-0) beat Hannan 30-8
- Grand Lake (2-0) plays Jeanerette Saturday
- Vermilion Catholic (1-2) lost to Abbeville 43-0
- Riverside (0-1) lost to Carver 54-0 Saturday with a partial squad of players
- Homer (2-1) beat Ringgold 69-0
- Haynesville (2-1) beat Junction City, Ark., 40-28
Others receiving votes: St. Edmund (3-0) beat Tara 43-0, Catholic-Pointe Coupee (2-1) beat St. Martin’s 44-14, St. Frederick (3-0) beat Tensas 28-0, St. Mary’s (2-1) beat Menard 31-17, Logansport (0-3) lost to Bossier 39-14.