by Hunter Bower, GeauxPreps.com Owner
September 11, 2001… We Shall Never Forget
In honor of the 20th anniversary of the attacks on 9/11, multiple football programs across the state took part in pre-game festivities to remember the lives lost on that fateful day.
Team members on the DeQuincy squad each held a flag as “God Bless The USA” by Lee Greenwood played before their game.
Kinder wore camouflage jerseys in support of the military as they took on Iowa Friday night. Eunice football players and staff also took part by carrying individual American flags as the National Anthem was played
Edna Karr, John Curtis Set To Battle On ESPN2
Two of the most recognizable championship programs in Louisiana will get to battle one again as Edna Karr and John Curtis will meet on the gridiron Friday at Tad Gormley Stadium in New Orleans.
Kickoff is set for 6 PM and will be televised on ESPN2 as part of the network’s High School Football Showcase.
The showdown will serve as the season opener for both programs who will take the field for the first time in 2021 following the devastation caused by Hurricane Ida.
The last two meetings in the series have resulted in a win for each team. John Curtis took the win in 2019 while the Cougars won 36-33 over the Patriots last season.
Liberty Magnet Picks Up First Program Win
Head coach Drey Trosclair led Liberty Magnet to its first win in program history Saturday night after defeating White Castle, 49-7.
The Patriots’ season was delayed a week due to the storm and most of the Baton Rouge area losing power. The school is in its first full varsity season after having played a couple of seasons at the junior varsity level.
Haynesville’s Field Goal… Yes, A Field Goal!
Haynesville’s Toby Franklin added to the mystique of the legendary Haynesville football program Friday night when he booted a 37-yard field goal through the uprights to cap off a convincing 51-0 victory over Magnolia Charter.
Those who have followed the team know that the Golden Tornado rarely has to rely on its special teams. However, Franklin, who is the son of head coach David Franklin and grandson of legendary coach Alton “Red” Franklin did what not many Haynesville kickers have been able to accomplish as his kick sailed through the uprights and into the record books.
It is perhaps one of, if not, the longest field goal conversions for the Haynesville program.
Union Parish’s Spatafora Self Imposes Suspension Following Altercation
Union Parish head coach Joe Spatafora will serve a “self-imposed” suspension, following an incident during the team’s game at Many during Week 1.
As first reported on the Monroe Saturday morning radio show, ‘The Locker Room’, Spatafora announced that he would honor the suspension on the heels of all that occurred before and after the contest.
Spatafora is slated to return to the sidelines on October 8, when his team hosts Sterlington.
Win No. 500
The Minden Crimson Tide recorded its 500th all-time regular-season victory as a program Friday night after defeating Green Oaks, 48-6.
Thanks to Mark Chreene for providing information and statistics to GeauxPreps.com each week!
Morgan City’s Triumph
It has been a long time coming for the Morgan City football program.
According to Houma Courier sports writer Chris Singleton, the Tigers notched a win for the first time in 23 games Friday night.
Morgan City defeated Jeanerette, 12-6, to pick up the much-deserved victory. Congrats Tigers!
How The LHSAA Football Power Ratings Are Determined
The changes the LHSAA made to the Power Ratings formula a few years back will have coaches and fans alike wondering why your calculations do not match GeauxPreps.
The top reason for mismatches is calculating Opponents’ Win points. Win Points are no longer just a straight-up number of Wins by teams you have played. Points are now based on the number of wins vs the number of games played. This was done to make up for playing opponents who did not play a full 10-game schedule.
See the summary below on how PR is calculated:
- Result of Game: If you win, you get 10 Power Points. If you lose, you get none.
- Classification: If your opponent is in a higher class, you get 2 points for each class higher
- Opponents Wins: To calculate opponents wins: divide the number of wins by total games played, and multiple by 10.
- Add these three components, and this is the PR for that specific game played.
- Do this for all games played, add them all up, and then divide that total by the number of games you played.
- You can compare your calculations with ours by looking at the Team Schedules Pages, there you will see how many points we calculated for each matchup.
Another major factor that causes mismatches, is Out of State opponents. We strive to make sure that we have to most accurate Win/Loss record for each out-of-state opponent. Since schools enter the W/L records for their OOS opponents, and because we don’t know how the schools get their record, we often are off on several matchups.
In addition, a team’s strength factor shall be determined by adding the sum of the opponent’s class to the sum of the opponent’s wins and dividing the result by the total number of games played. The strength factor is used when a tie exists between two or more teams and a head-to-head matchup does not exist.
GeauxPreps.com auto-generates its Power Ratings every two hours for football. If you think that you have seen an error or have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
How The LSWA Football Polls Fared – Week 2
- Acadiana (1-1) lost to Catholic-BR 20-0
- Brother Martin (0-0) did not play
- Catholic-BR (2-0) beat Acadiana 20-0
- Zachary (2-0) beat St. Paul’s 41-2
- Ponchatoula (0-0) did not play
- West Monroe (1-0) did not play
- John Curtis (0-0) did not play
- Scotlandville (1-0) beat East Ascension 39-20
- Destrehan (0-0) did not play
- Alexandria (2-0) beat St. Thomas More 59-35
Others receiving votes: Captain Shreve (2-0) beat Leesville 54-0, Ruston (1-1) beat Oxford, Ms., 28-14, Byrd (2-0) beat Tioga 18-3, Rummel (0-0) did not play, Haughton (1-1) lost to Northwood-Shreve 27-20, East St. John (0-0) did not play, Airline (0-2) lost to Union Parish 43-20, John Ehret (0-0) did not play, Woodlawn-BR (0-1) lost to University 34-14.
- Karr (0-0) did not play
- Neville (2-0) beat Ouachita Parish 28-6
- Carencro (1-1) beat Southside 45-21
- Warren Easton (0-0) did not play
- St. Thomas More (0-2) lost to Alexandria 59-35
- Vandebilt Catholic (0-0) did not play
- Westgate (1-1) beat West St. Mary 55-20
- Northwood-Shreve (1-1) beat Haughton 27-20
- Plaquemine (0-1) lost to Assumption 34-12
- Leesville (1-1) lost to Captain Shreve 54-0
Others receiving votes: Assumption (1-0) beat Plaquemine 34-12, Lakeshore (0-0), North DeSoto (0-2) lost to Parkway 42-13, Carver (0-0) did not play, Tioga (0-2) lost to Byrd 18-3, Liberty (1-0) beat White Castle 49-7, Cecilia (1-1) beat Rayne 41-7.
- University (2-0) beat Woodlawn-BR 34-14
- Union Parish (2-0) beat Airline 43-20
- De La Salle (0-0) did not play
- St. James (0-0) beat Shaw 37-27
- Madison Prep (2-0) beat Southern Lab 20-16
- Lake Charles Prep (1-1) beat Franklin Parish 56-6
- Sterlington (2-0) beat Magham 35-13
- St. Martinville (2-0) beat New Iberia 27-16
- E.D. White (0-0) did not play
- Jennings (0-2) lost to Eunice 33-18
Others receiving votes: Green Oaks (0-1) played Minden, Carroll (1-1) lost to Avoyelles 86-34, Mansfield (1-1) lost to Huntington 40-20, Church Point (2-0) beat Kaplan 32-8, Jena (2-0) beat Vidalia 40-6, St. Louis (1-1) lost to Iota 32-30, Booker T. Washington-NO (0-0) did not play, Lutcher (0-0) did not play, North Webster (2-0) beat North Caddo 53-30.
- Lafayette Christian (2-0) beat Lafayette 47-27
- Mangham (1-1) lost to Sterlington 35-13
- Many (1-1) beat DeRidder 61-26
- Newman (0-0) did not play
- Amite (0-0) did not play
- Notre Dame (2-0) won by forfeit over Sulphur 2-0
- Loreauville (2-0) beat North Vermilion 27-20
- Dunham (1-1) lost to Mandeville 27-6
- St. Charles (0-0) did not play
- Kinder (1-1) lost to Iowa 41-18
Others receiving votes: Catholic-New Iberia (1-0) played Breaux Bridge, General Trass (2-0) beat Wossman 56-22, North Caddo (1-1) lost to North Webster 53-30, Rosepine (2-0) beat South Beauregard 47-0, Kentwood (0-0) did not play, Ferriday (0-2) lost to Bastrop 16-0.
- Calvary (2-0) beat Glenbrook 58-14
- Ouachita Christian (2-0) beat Oak Grove 35-21
- Oak Grove (0-2) lost to Ouachita Christian 35-21
- Southern Lab (0-1) lost to Madison Prep 20-16
- Ascension Catholic (0-0) did not play
- Riverside (0-0) did not play
- Grand Lake (2-0) beat Lake Arthur 26-15
- Vermilion Catholic (1-1) beat Opelousas Catholic 21-6
- Homer (1-1) beat Plain Dealing 49-0
- Catholic-Pointe Coupee (1-1) lost to Ascension Episcopal 56-22
Others receiving votes: Haynesville (1-1) beat Magnolia School of Excellence 54-0, St. Edmund (2-0) beat Basile 35-21, East Iberville (0-1) lost to Denham Springs 58-0, St. Mary’s (1-1) beat Buckeye 38-6, St. Frederick (2-0) beat Cedar Creek 7-6, Logansport (0-2) lost to Loyola 61-44, Basile (0-2) lost to St Edmund 35-21.